International driving license

International driving license – How and where to obtain it

What to do and where to go to obtain an international driving license

It was my ignorance and the fact that I never worried about the fact that I might need to drive while travelling, and I left without having the international driving license among my travel documents.
I learned of its existence when I was in Thailand, I was riding a scooter and I was doing it against the law.
In fact, the license is used not only to drive cars but in many cases also scooters 50 and, without talking about the “corruption” option which is unethical but which still happens frequently in many countries, the only way to drive a vehicle without to run into problems and fines is to be equipped with the International Driving License which is nothing more than a translation of the Italian driving licence, a translation which certifies that we are authorized to drive a vehicle.

While our license is sufficient to drive within the European Community, the international driving license is mandatory for most non-European countries.

The international conventions provide for two distinct models of international driving licence: the model Geneva 1949 and Vienna 1968. Both international driving permits can be obtained in Italy, but while the Vienna 1968 model is valid for 3 years Geneva model 1949 it is valid for 1 year.

Although permits compliant with the Vienna Convention 1968 are valid for 3 years, if the license expires before that, the international permit will also have no value.

NB: United States, Thailand, South Africa e Japan have adhered to the Geneva Convention of 1949, therefore the validity of the international driving permit is valid for one year.

To obtain an international driving licence, you do not need to take any exams other than going to the Motorization Office and applying, paying the bills and tax stamp.

Emission time: about 15 days.

Total cost: €38,24

Click the button and find all search platforms and book your next trip yourself.

Plan your trip yourself

Read also: Book cheap rental cars: insider tips & experiences

How to get an international driving license

The process is simple, just follow the following steps and you’re done, then you just have to wait two weeks to get the document.
Before proceeding, however, it is necessary to inform yourself with the Consulate of the country where you are going for what type of Model to apply, once you have ascertained this, simply go to the Civil Motorization Office of your municipality/city with the following documents:

  • Question about model TT 746
  • Certificate of payment of €9.00 on account 9001 (pre-printed slip distributed at post offices and motor vehicle offices)
  • Certificate of payment of €14.62 on account 4028 (pre-printed slip distributed at post offices and motor vehicle registration offices)
  • Revenue stamp from €14.62
  • Two recent photos, one of which is authenticated
  • Photocopy of both sides of your valid driving licence

At the time of delivery of the document, a valid driving license must be presented.

International driving license

Alternative to Motorization – ACI

Aci does the work for you and obviously makes you pay for it, quite expensive too, but for those who don’t have much time this is an excellent solution.
You just need to bring an authenticated photo to the ACI office (you need to go to the district to have it authenticated) and then deliver the authenticated photo, another normal photo, the driving license, you will be issued a replacement document, the identity card.
In approximately 7 days you will receive your license. So you save time requesting it and also receiving it. Costs vary between 80 and 100 euros.

List of signatory countries to the Geneva Convention of 19.09.1949 and the Vienna Convention of 8.11.1968

Let’s get to the burning question that left me in doubt.
Which license to request? The one lasting 1 year or the one lasting three years? The choice depends on the country (or countries) in which we intend to drive.
Be careful that in some cases, such as South Africa or Morocco and many others, both are accepted.

Geneva Convention of 1949 (valid 1 year)

Albania, Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Benin, Botswana, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Cyprus, Congo, Ivory Coast, Cuba, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, Fiji, Philippines , Finland, France, Georgia, Ghana, Japan, Jordan, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, India, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lesotho, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Malta , Morocco, Monaco, Namibia, Niger, Norway, New Zealand, Netherlands, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Principality of Monaco, United Kingdom, Syrian Arab Republic, Czech Republic, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Republic of Korea, Dominican Republic, Romania, Rwanda, San Marino, Holy See, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sri Lanka, United States of America, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Hungary, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zaire, Zimbabwe.
Law no. 1049 of 05.19.1952 – GU 187 of 08.13.1952

Vienna Convention of 1968 (valid for 3 years)

Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belgium, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Korea, Ivory Coast, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Denmark, Ecuador, Philippines, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Great Britain , Greece, Guyana, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Morocco, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Niger, Norway, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Monaco, Czech Republic, Central African Republic, Republic Slovakia, Romania, San Marino, Holy See, Senegal, Seichelles, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Hungary, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Zaire.

It is advisable to always check before signing up for one agreement rather than another.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *